Sunday, September 22, 2013

Tomato Cobbler

Happy First Day of Fall from my family to yours......the temperature has cooled, the rains have started - the gardens are being put to rest and the winter vegetables are being planted (at least here on the West Coast of British Columbia).   I have slowly beeb picking off my tomatoes both ripe and green, before the rain soaked them well.  I realized that this year's crop was once again very good to me! 
For dinner I made a Tomato Cobbler  as I have many ripe tomatoes, so very colourful and tasty.
This dish is very filling and just adding a nice green salad makes a perfect meal.  I added some vegetable protein that I had in the fridge but you can add any choice of protein you  or your family favours (bean would work nicely too).

 
 
Tomato Cobbler
 
The Ingredients you will need.
 
 
Add melted butter to your cast iron pan

 Mince the Jalapeno Peppers

Chop your tomatoes
 
Mix your dry ingredients together, adding the wet ingredients in
and pouring into the cast iron skillet on top of the melted  butter.
 
Top with the tomato/herb mixture - add some of your favorite cheese
and bake.


  TOMATO COBBLE RECIPE
 
2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 jalapeno diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 lime - juiced
1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)-
I had a few slices left over from earlier in the week and used them.
1 package vegetarian sausage, crumbled (I happened to have vegie breakfast patties)
salt, pepper
Mix above ingredients and set aside.
8 Tbsp( or less) butter, melted in a cast iron skillet
In medium bowl combine:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk (I use 1% but whole is good)
Combine all ingredients and pour into melted butter in cast iron skillet.
Top with tomato mixture
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes - uncovered
I would serve this with either sour cream or yogurt
You  can use Italian herbs for an Italian flavour using red pepper instead.
 
 
 
“When you begin to touch your heart or let your heart be touched, you begin to discover that it's bottomless, that it doesn't have any resolution, that this heart is huge, vast, and limitless. You begin to discover how much warmth and gentleness is there, as well as how much space.”
Pema Chodron (born 1936);
Buddist Nun
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment