Sunday, September 29, 2013

RHUBARB MARMALADE

RHUBARB MARMALADE..... I made a batch of this with the crop of rhubarb that grew this year.  The original recipe I found is made with oranges but I changed it up with limes instead.  I have not been successful in growing rhubarb for many,  many years  but since moving to the Sunshine Coast of  BC  - I can now grow rhubarb!  I was given a small plant  by my sister Wendy and originally had it planted near my deck but it did not do so well.  When I built a new garden area I transplanted this original plant (well it fell apart into 3 pieces) so I planted all three in different areas of the yard and they are all doing  very well.  I now have an abundance of rhubarb.  I am not a total fan of  marmalade ( with oranges) but this one is a keeper.  I also made another batch but substituted Limes for the Oranges and it became  Rhubarb Lime Marmalade - another good one!
 
 
Rhubarb Marmalade
 

The ingredients you will need  - substitute limes for oranges

  Oranges chopped and in the food processor.

 All processed and ready to  be added to the  pot.

 Rhubarb, oranges and sugars added.

 The  Rhubarb Marmalade is ready to be jarred.

Beautiful colour - Rhubarb Marmalade.
 
 
RHUBARB MARMALADE RECIPE
 

6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
6 cups sugar
2 medium oranges
For Rhubarb Lime Marmalade ( use 3 limes - omit oranges)

Directions

Combine rhubarb and sugar in a Dutch oven.
Grind oranges, including the peels, in a food processor; add to rhubarb mixture.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often until marmalade sheets from a spoon
 about 1 hour.
Remove from the heat; skim off foam.
Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. head space.
Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids.
Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Yield: about 8 half-pints.
If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely.
Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
 

 
'I hope I can be the Autumn leaf, who looked at the sky and lived.
And when it was time to leave, gracefully it knew life was a gift.'
 — Dodinsky

No comments:

Post a Comment