Monday, June 24, 2013

Sourdough Banana Spice Bread

 Sourdough starter, once you've started a batch 'your committed'.....seriously I love working with sourdough starter.  There are so many things you can make with it.  Thanks to my friend Susan who gave me some of her starter I've become a bit 'obsessed' but my family (and friends) are enjoying it.
Today I thought I would bake with the two overripe bananas that I had sitting on my counter.  So out comes my starter from the fridge, gave it a good feed of flour and water and sat it on my counter to do it's magic.   A short while later it was bubbling and frothy and ready for me to have fun.
So with the bananas, starter, a few raisins, spices and of course some sort of nut, I decided to use sunflower seeds this time - I am off.  Hope you enjoy this recipe (and if you need starter, contact me) !

Sourdough Banana Spice Bread
 
The ingredients you will need.

My sourdough starter, bubbling and ready.

The finished bread ready for sampling with a friend or family.
 
SOURDOUGH BANANA SPICE BREAD RECIPE
 
 Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or Coconut oil (I used Coconut Oil)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup Sourdough Starter
2 bananas, mashed
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp cloves ( opt)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup raisins (soaked in hot water and drained)
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
 
Cream together the butter or coconut oil, sugar, egg  and vanilla.
Mix in the sourdough starter and mashed bananas.
  In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt baking soda and spices.
Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix just until combined.
Stir in raisins and sunflower seeds.
Do not over mix.
 Pour batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan or two smaller loaf pans
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the
loaf comes out clean.  Cool completely before slicing.
 
 
"You will learn a lot about yourself if you stretch in the direction of goodness,
 of bigness, of kindness, of forgiveness, of emotional bravery.
Be a warrior for Love."
 
..........Cheryl Strayed
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. A year and a half ago I bought 2 sourdough starters on the internet. Never did get around to activating them. I had little energy that year, much better now. One of these days in fall I will try to get it going. If it is dead, I will take you up on that offer.

    ReplyDelete