Saturday, June 8, 2013

ROSE PETAL JELLY & THE MAGIC OF ROSES





Roses, so fragrant - so many varieties, so many colours.   This year my roses are blooming early and have so many buds and blooms, as I walk around my yard I stop and 'smell the roses'.   Rugosa roses I can smell from my deck, looking at one of my rose bushes heavy with roses I thought I might cook something with them.  Rose Petal Jelly is the idea that came to me!   Thanks to my neighbor and friend Anne and her 'donations' of several cuttings from her Rugosa Roses I have many plants to pick from. 
Thank you Mom for the lovely hand crocheted table runner that my pretty Rose Petal Jelly & Syrup are sitting on......
My first attempt at the Rose Petal Jelly/Jam was not a success but my Grandmother's voice in my mind of  'do not be wasteful' became my Rose Petal Syrup, perfect I realized for pancakes, waffles and even tea -   my second attempt - a successful Jelly....oh the joys of experimentation.

 Rose Petal Jelly & Syrup
ROSE PETAL JELLY  RECIPE
Yield 6 half pints
6 cups rose petals (either Rugosa or Wild rose)
4 cups water
1 box pectin
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
5 1/2 cups sugar
In large saucepan add the rose petals and water and simmer for 15 minutes.
Strain and return to pan. 
Whisk in pectin and lemon juice.
Add sugar and stir.
Bring to a boil, boil hard 1 minutes .
Pour into sterilized jars, seal and process in a
water bath for 10 minutes






Our life is an apprenticeship to the truth that around every circle another can be drawn;
that there is no end in nature, but every ending is a beginning.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments:

Post a Comment