Sunday, February 17, 2013

MUSHROOM CHOWMEIN

Chowmein, stirfry, chinese noodles, tofu all favorites in this home of ours.  Today we travel to China (via Prince Rupert) because I was first introduced to this recipe (now revised a few times) by a good friend that I met while living in Prince Rupert.  Rosalie is from a Japanese family, married to a Dutchman.  We visited many times in one home or another, shared Thanksgiving dinners with their  family of 5.  Rosalie introduced this Chowmein to our family at least 18 years ago  and I have been making it ever since.
With Chinese food you can choose from many vegetables, noodles and sauces - it can be a very healthy way to eat. 



Mushroom  Chowmein
 

The ingredients you will need.
 
Sunflower and sesame oil in the pan.

 

To this the 'meatless' chicken strips are added to
be sauteed for a minute before adding the garlic chili paste.
 
 My boys like some heat in their food so
I like to add 1-2 Tablespoons of this to the protein.
I will use Tofu (cubed) or a 'meatless' product.
 
 

 The 'meatless' chicken sauteeing in the spicey chili garlic paste
for a minute.
 
 To the protein I then add the sliced onion sauteeing another minute.

Add the sliced celery and shredded carrot. Saute
for another minute.
 

 I love shitake mushrooms (and they are very healthy too)
 so I will add these as well as button mushrooms.
 





Toss everything together and saute another minute or two,
adding some of the vegetable broth if too dry.

Lastly adding the steamed chinese noodles.

Pour some more broth over the noodles (not too wet, they will steam
in the oven some more) Mix well and cover.

  The pot is ready to go into a 300 degree oven for approximately
30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment