Tuesday, February 19, 2013

BABA NASTIA'S ZUCCHINI NOODLES

Baba Nastia's Zucchini Noodles, delicious comfort food and a great way to use zucchini.
This post is in memory of my Baba Nastia (this is what we called her) who passed away in September 2012 at the age of 93. 
 
This recipe was Baba Nastia's creation, I did not have the opportunity to sample 'her version' as we did not live in the area but am very fortunate to have two beautiful sisters Holly and Wendy who always share their recipes (and those handed down from family) with me. Living away from my family, cooking the recipes that my sisters and other extended family members and friends share with me 'brings them into the kitchen with me' it's like having a visit while I create the dish.

My Aunt Nastia was a wonderful cook,  my Aunt and Uncle always had a wonderful lush garden, many fruit trees and we had the opportunity to 'drop in' at their home from the time we were allowed to wander, as they lived a few houses down the road from us. She would always have a treat ready for us. It may have been Kalachi ( biscuit with cinnamon or jam) or home made pickles 'sveje prosolniye',(fresh salted) if it was summer she always gave us baby cucumber from her garden, still warm from the sun. When little we lived in the community of Ootischenia, outside of city limits of Castlegar, where everyone looked out for one another. The road we lived on was a 'gathering of family' Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and many more. We were allowed to wander and 'visit' with all of our family. What an education this was for us, as we grew older when we 'dropped in' if there was something anyone of our family needed help with - we helped, thus learning a skill as we visited.
 
 
Baba Nastia's Zucchini Noodles
 
Served in a beautiful bowl gifted to me by my sister
Wendy and sitting on a lovely tablecloth - a Christmas
gift from Azam & Ahmen - our in laws who live
in Tehran, Iran.

The ingredients you will need.

 The vegetables all chopped, sliced and ready for the pan.

Cheddar  cheese is grated and waiting to be sprinkled
 over top of the dish.
 
A bit of vegetable oil and butter heating

The onions, celery and green pepper are added to the
oil and butter and sauteing.

 
 
After a few minutes the sliced mushrooms are added to
the pan.

The diced zucchini is dropped into the pan and sauteed
a few more minutes.

The tomatoes are added to the vegetables.

Everything simmers away until the 'sauce' thickens
up a bit. 

Adding the cream cheese, stirring until it melts and creams
the sauce.

The dry noodles are added to the sauce.

Everything is tossed together nicely,
 
and topped with the shredded cheese.
 

Covered to sit about 12 - 20 minutes, the noodles
with absorb the sauce and thicken up.....
 
The finished dish.


 
It was just a few years ago that I started to make this dish, when living in Fort St John someone kept leaving zucchini on my doorstep. This was one of the recipes I used it in. Quick, simple and contains many vegetables. I have adapted this recipe by adding a few ingredients like mushrooms as our family is a big fan.



Auntie Nastia's Zucchini Noodles Recipe

1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 hot pepper ( optional) minced

Saute these ingredients in 1 Tablespoon of butter and 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- approximately 3-4 minutes
1 cup sliced mushrooms
I add the mushrooms after the above ingredients have sautéed their 3-4 minutes.

Saute the mushrooms another minutes then add:
3 cups tomatoes, canned or fresh (if using fresh tomatoes, chop them)
Cook this another 3-4 minutes until the 'sauce' starts to thicken a bit

then add:
2 cups zucchini, chopped and cook another 3-5 minutes.
Stir in: 2 Tablespoons light cream cheese

To this add:
1 bag of the 'fat' FarKay chowmein noodles, toss to coat them evenly with the sauce.
My Aunt Nastia used her homemade egg noodles (which I will use if I have a batch made up)


Sprinkle approximately 1/2 cup of grated Cheddar cheese over top and cover with a lid.
Let this sit until the noodles soften up and absorb some of the sauce, approximately 10 minutes.
Enjoy with a green salad.
 
 
'In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there. To the flowers I whisper the secrets I keep and the hopes I breathe. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels.'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment