Monday, May 4, 2015

Eatmore Bars.....love filled memories

Chocolate, nuts and a few other ingredients make for one of my Dad's favorite snacks.  My Father loved his chocolate bars, Eatmore and Oh Henry were two of his favorites.  I have been making this recipe for many, many years as it is also one of my favorite sweet treats.  I grew up with my Father growing many different vegetables, fruits and of course nuts! One year he grew peanuts and I can still remember the day when he took us to the garden with him to watch him harvest the patch of peanuts.
How surprised my sisters and I were to find out that peanuts grow underground - just like potatoes!
Father pulled up the peanut plant and there hanging on by their 'roots' were many many peanuts. He washed them off and then we had to wait until they dried and were roasted in the oven.  What a wonderful lesson we learned that day.  My Father was an amazing gardener, there was nothing he wouldn't try to plant.....'just to see' how it grew.  This I carry on with me and today I planted peanuts 'Valencia' variety in my Father's memory. I also made Eatmore bars (from store bought peanuts) to 'share' with Dad while I drank my tea.  Make some up for your family, no oven required.  They freeze beautifully and are great to share with family and friends.  Thank you Dad for all the lessons you taught us, for all the laughter you shared with us - for so many wonderful memories.
 EATMORE BARS 


The ingredients you will need.

The 'sauce' is melted together on the stove.

The dry ingredients combined waiting for the 'sauce'

 All the ingredients are mixed together waiting for the pan
 

Everything is pressed into the pan....now the waiting begins.
 
A delicious treat, this can also be dipped in melted chocolate for an extra special treat.
 
EATMORE BARS RECIPE
 
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup peanut butter (I like the chunky kind)
1 cup oatmeal (quick cook or old fashioned - or half and half)
1 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
2 cups (generous) peanuts, chopped (I leave some whole)
 
Grease a 9x13 inch pan and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt the first 3 ingredients on low
until everything has melted and is a smooth texture.
In a large bowl combine the oats, peanuts and coconut then pour
the chocolate mixture over the oat mixture and stir until well mixed.
Press into the greased pan, cover and refrigerate until firm.
Cut into bars, logs or whatever shape and size you prefer.
This is where I sometimes dip them into melted chocolate and roll into
more finely chopped peanuts. Let cool and enjoy!
If there is a peanut allergy in the family change the peanut butter to another nut butter
and the peanuts to other 'nuts' and everyone is happy.
 
'Treat your parents with loving care....
For you will only know their value, when you see their empty chair....'


No comments:

Post a Comment