Thursday, April 9, 2015

Kale and Bean Salad

Spring, it brings warmer temperatures, soft rains and new beginnings.
Last week I was out in the yard, wandering around the gardens, checking to see
what has sprouted since winter.  Checking on the plants still producing in the garden.
I came across some Lacinato Kale that I had planted last year and it was looking very healthy.
I picked off the leaves and washed and stored them in the fridge.
 Kale was introduced to me by my friends and wonderful gardeners, Marc and Susan,our family had not grown or eaten kale before. Growing up this vegetable was not a staple in my Mother and Father's garden so it was not familiar to me.
Since sampling some of Marc and Susan's kale I started to grow it and have had it in my garden for the last two years.  Today I made a salad adapting a recipe I saw on the internet by J. Pham.
This afternoon I sat out on my deck and enjoyed this delicious and healthy lunch with my two cats Klowee and Chelsea lounging nearby....the sun warming my bare toes and the birds singing their songs.....this is heaven, I am so very grateful.
 
 
Kale and Bean Salad

The ingredients you will need.

The dressing ingredients have been blended and poured over the beans and parsley.

 Adding the kale to the dressing and beans along with a sprinkle of feta cheese.
 

A beautiful and delicious salad....enjoy!
 
 

Bean and Kale Salad Recipe
Yields: 6 servings
1½ pounds fresh kale leaves
8 ounces gigante or corona beans, cooked and cooled (I used canned)
2 tablespoons store-bought julienned sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tablespoons mild honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
juice of 1 lime
1 clove  garlic, finely minced
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
½ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
1/4 cup feta cheese (optional)

 

Directions
Prepping the kale: Wash the raw kale thoroughly in several baths.
 Remove and discard any fibrous and older parts of the stems.  
For the bean dressing: In a mini blender (or a regular blender if you don't have a mini), combine the mustard, honey, lime juice, half a dozen  beans and  garlic. Thin the dressing with 2-3 tablespoons water. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and briefly pulse 2-3 times. 
Assembly:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dressing, beans and sun-dried tomatoes. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. Add the kale. Massage and toss well until well coated.  
Sprinkle in feta cheese and toss. 
Serve at room temperature.
 
'Hate no one, no matter how much they've wronged you.
Live humbly, no matter how wealthy you become.
Think positively, no matter how hard life is.
Give much even if you've been given little.
Keep in touch with the ones who have forgotten you, and
forgive who has wronged you, and do not stop praying
for the best for those you love."
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment