Sunday, October 5, 2014

Mexican Vegetarian 'Fish'.....according to Carlos


I have lived in many cities in British Columbia while my husband expanded his career, one of the cities we moved (this was our 6th move since 1979) to was Fort St John, British Columbia in 1999. A beautiful spot in Northern  British Columbia - the Peace Country.  As we drove from MacKenzie to 'see' the area we saw huge mountains through the Pine Pass as well as many creeks and rivers along the way, a drive of approximately 5 hours. As we got drove closer to Fort St John the landscape starts to change near Chetwynd, the mountains start to disappear and it becomes flatter and flatter until you see the fields of rye, wheat and the beautiful yellow canola.
What an amazing sight - like sunlight smiling all around you as you drive.
Arriving in Fort St John....two kids in tow...our eldest left it to us to find our new home.  We encountered hot sun and falling snow within the 4 hours we were there.  At this point I was 'not too sure' I wanted this to be our new home but it was the best step for my husband and our family.
While living in Fort St John I worked at the local college - Northern Lights College (yes we enjoyed many evenings watching the Northern Lights) something I wish all of you could experience.
I worked with many wonderful people and students - such wonderful memories.  One of which is when Carlos asked of me 'Pam, you being a vegetarian - what do you eat?' I told him there are so many choices that my family is always fed. I cook dishes from many different countries.  The next day he came to me with this recipe......just so I could add it to my 'Mexican' collection. 
Thank you Carlos, you were a pleasure to work with and my family enjoys this dish every time I make it. I encourage you to try this recipe......it is so simple, easy and oh so tasty!



The ingredients you will need.

All ingredients chopped and mixed together waiting to be shaped into patties.

The oil is heating in the pat waiting for the patties.


The Vegetarian 'Fish' Patties are in the pan and browning nicely.

The patties have browned on one side and flipped over for browning of the other side.
They look so good already!



Mexican Style 'Vegetarian' Fish....ready to enjoy.
Serve with a side salad, sliced vegetables. Top your patties with salsa, ketchup or even Tartar Sauce.
MEXICAN 'VEGETARIAN' FISH RECIPE
1large potato, shredded
the same volume(measure) of feta/goat cheese
1 egg
1 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped fine
pinch of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together, shape into patties (or fish if you like)
Fry in oil until browned on both sides
Squeeze lemon over the patties and enjoy!
Serve with a salad or sliced vegetables.
'When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.'
Rumi


No comments:

Post a Comment