Thursday, July 3, 2014

Cheesy Zucchini Joes

Zucchini, a very versatile vegetable.....good in burgers, cakes, cookies and of course 'Joes'.
If you planted zucchini this year, you will have to make some Cheesy Zucchini Joes. I am very happy to be able to grow zucchini now, for many, many years I planted them but they did not want to grow for me.  I was very fortunate to have many friends who could grow them and were so very happy to 'share' as many as I needed!  A few years ago I came across the original recipe and quickly adapted it to my family's tastes and it has continued to be another favorite.
  Great for picnics, potlucks and just a tasty lunch or dinner.
Full of goodness and is easy to double or even triple for that large gathering of family, friends or neighbors.  I serve mine on homemade multi-grain sub buns but any bun will do.
 
Cheesy Zucchini Joes
 

 
The ingredients you will need....adding mushroom too


Zucchini, mushrooms, garlic and onions....all sliced, diced and minced
 
Garlic, onions and mushrooms sautéed in butter ....smells heavenly in here.
 
The zucchini is added along with the herbs and spices

Adding tomato sauce to the vegetable mixture.

My homemade multi grain sub buns, sliced and waiting for the topping.
 

Zucchini Joes added and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese.

The Zucchini Joe is all wrapped and bundled and ready to be put in the oven.

 
 
 
Mmmmmm.......so delicious.....enjoy!
 
 
Here is my recipe, as I continue to create I added a few more ingredients
than the photo above shows.  Once I open my fridge and see some wonderful ingredients
things just happen to fall into place.  This recipe reflects the 'Joes' we had for dinner tonight.
 
 
ZUCCHINI JOES RECIPE
 
 2 Tablespoons butter
2 medium zucchini, sliced (1/8 a 1/4 inch thick)
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, (in oil) chopped
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
1-2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
4, 6 inch submarine buns, split

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.
Sauté the onions, garlic approximately 5-7 minutes then add the chopped mushrooms and zucchini. Sauté another 4 minutes them add the tomato sauce, seasonings and herbs. Let simmer for another 5-7 minutes adding salt and pepper to taste.
Slice your buns, place onto either foil or parchment paper and making sure each sand which has it's own separate foil or parchment 'wrap'.
Spoon zucchini mixture onto the bottom halves of the buns, sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese over top, cover with the top of the buns and wrap up tightly. Place onto a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until everything is heated through and cheese is melted.
This recipe serves 4 but is easily doubled.
Feel free to add your own herbs, spices that you and your family enjoy.
 
'My Church is the ocean, my sky is this stained- glass view and my offering is......
this open hand I'm holding out to you.
                                                                                                                             Alex Woodward

No comments:

Post a Comment