Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rhubarb-Strawberry Jam....

The sun is shining, the garden is growing and in my garden the Rhubarb is flourishing, it's time to make jam!  This simple recipe was given to me by my friend Cynthia when we lived in Prince Rupert many years ago and I've been making it ever since.  For this recipe I harvested some rhubarb from my elderly friend Neil's yard.  Neil lives on Ocean Beach Esplanade and has been enjoying my little jars of jams which I drop off on his doorstep - along with a fresh loaf of bread or English Muffins.  I walk along this beautiful spot every day and this is my way of checking on some of the 'long time residents' of Ocean Beach Esplanade.  I drop off the 'goodies' at the start of my walk and then on my return I check to see if the 'package' has been picked up, if it has then I know my friends are well and I can go happily on my way.  I have met so many wonderful people in this community just by sharing or stopping by to say 'Hello' and of course offer a Hug or two.  I will be making more jam now with the rhubarb from my garden, I hope you make some of this for your family and friends too.
 
RHUBARB-STRAWBERRY JAM
 
 
 

The ingredients you will need.

Everything but the Jello is added to the pot.

Stirring everything together and cooking. Then adding the Jello at the end.
It's as simple as that!
 
Delicious Rhubarb-Strawberry Jam on toast, pancakes or waffles.
 
RHUBARB- STRAWBERRY JAM RECIPE
 
4 cups rhubarb, diced or sliced
5 cups sugar
1, 10 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
2 small boxes of Strawberry Jello
6-8 jam jars
 
Wash and dice or slice your rhubarb.
Into a large pot, combine rhubarb, sugar and pineapple.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from stove and stir in both packages of the Strawberry Jello.
Stir to combine and dissolve Jello crystals.
Pour into containers and freeze.  I also process the jars in a hot water bath
for 15 minutes and store in my pantry.
 
'A meaningful life is not being rich, being popular, being highly educated or being perfect.....
It is about being real, being humble, being able to share ourselves and touch the lives of others. 
It is only then that we could have a full, happy and contented life.'
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment