Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Potato(less) Potato Salad.....made with Cauliflower

Road trips, picnics or family brunch/lunch/dinners.....making a salad is a great addition to any meal. My daughter Anastasia and I enjoyed a drive to Kamloops for a job interview she had and we wanted to bring a lunch that was healthy, filling and easy to eat on the road (or beside the road).   I came across a recipe that used Cauliflower in place of potatoes in a salad. We love potato salad but not all the carbohydrates that they contain, Cauliflower was the perfect substitute and I had a nice large head in my fridge.  To keep the carbohydrates low I use Vegenaise instead of Mayonnaise.  I hope you try this recipe soon, perhaps with all those leftover colourful Easter Eggs!


Potato(less) Potato Salad
 

 
Some of the ingredients you will need. 

The cauliflower is ready for steaming. (2-3 minutes)

Eggs are hard boiled and cool, ready for peeling and mashing.

You will need some vinegar (I used white but cider vinegar/white/red wine vinegar will work too).

The dressing is all mixed together, celery leaves chopped
 and at the top - pickles and onions are chopped and ready to be added.
 

Here is the steamed and chopped cauliflower. I like this size of pieces in my salad.
 
The eggs have been mashed with a fork.

Here you see all the ingredients ready for tossing.
Mix everything together and add chopped fresh parsley.
I also like to add shredded head lettuce just to bulk up the salad.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to let all the flavours blend, enjoy!


 

 


Potato(less)  Potato Salad Recipe
 
1 medium sized head of cauliflower
6 eggs, hard boiled and mashed
5 Tablespoons Vegenaise (or Mayonnaise)
3-4 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cups pickles chopped finely (2-3 pickles)
3 Tablespoons celery chopped fine
1/8 cup onion, chopped fine (green onion is also good)
1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
3 Tablespoons white vinegar or pickle juice
salt, pepper to taste
1-2 cups shredded head lettuce
 
Break the cauliflower into pieces (florets) and steam with a bit of salt.
Drain, cool and chop into smaller pieces. (see photo)
In a large bowl, mash the eggs until they are slightly chunky,
 combine with the cauliflower, pickles, celery and onion.
In a small bowl mix together, Vegenaise*, Dijon mustard, and vinegar.
Mix dressing into the cauliflower/egg mixture and season with salt and pepper.
Add in shredded lettuce and chopped parsley, chill and enjoy
This recipe is easily halved or doubled.
 
*Vegnnaise can be found in the grocery store in the organic section or near the Mayonnaise
 

 'Behind me is infinite power, before me is endless possibility, around me is boundless opportunity.
Why should I fear?'


No comments:

Post a Comment