Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Grilled Cheese ' with a Twist'


Grilled Cheese 'with a Twist'
In our home we love cheese, grilled, melted or just as a snack.  When I make a pot of homemade soup I like to make grilled cheese sandwiches to eat with it. My family likes a bit of 'heat/spice' in their foods by my palate can't handle too much heat so I make up these Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.  I added Pickled Hot Mix, (this mix has just enough heat for my palate) which contains a variety of vegetables (cucumbers, cauliflower, hot banana peppers) that I found in the grocery store.
 This jar of Hot Mix is wonderful to have in the fridge to use for many dishes,
                                                such as a quiche or even into appetizers.
We always have a few different cheeses in the fridge and I like to mix a few of them together in this Grilled Cheese Sandwich mix.  I love to grill them up for lunch, to eat with a salad and even toast some up as 'Open Faced Sandwiches'. I sometimes add chopped canned mushrooms or finely chopped fresh mushrooms that I have sauteed for a few minutes, the additions are endless! This cheese mix will sit in the fridge for at least a week, but mine doesn't usually last that long!

 The ingredients you will need.

The Hot Pepper Mix, garlic and onion all chopped.

The cheeses have been grated.

Then mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper are mixed in and it's ready for the bread.
You can even stuff this into jumbo pasta shells for some interesting appetizers!


Here is my recipe:


Pam's Grilled Cheese Sandwich Mix Recipe

1 cup Hot Pickle Mix
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 small onion
Put all the above ingredients into a food processor and process until finely chopped,
 but don't over process, you want to taste the bits of Hot Pickles.
In a large bowl:
 Grate 2-3 cups of cheese (your choice of cheese),
I usually use Cheddar, Mozzarella and Asiago cheeses.
To the shredded cheeses add:
4 tablespoons light Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Salt, pepper to taste
Add the chopped Hot Pepper Mix and combine until everything is evenly mixed.
Spread onto some nice hearty bread and either toast open faced or top with another piece of bread and grill.   I also love to use this as an appetizer by spreading some of the cheese mixture onto a loaf of French Bread which I have sliced in half. Spread both halves of the French Bread with the cheese Mixture and place onto a cookie sheet and then into a preheated 350-375 oven for about 10 minutes then on broil for 5 minutes until top is bubbling.



'Treasure this day. No matter what is going on, look for the gifts and blessings in everything you are facing.  It might be challenging if the day is not going well, but still they are there.  Once you find them, things will shift for the better.'

No comments:

Post a Comment