Monday, January 13, 2014

Whole Wheat Sourdough Pasta and Ravioli

Pasta, a staple in every home, is a great choice for many quick and healthy meals.
My sourdough starter is doing very, very well as I have been using and feeding it often.
I came across a recipe for Sourdough Noodles that sounded very interesting,
 they were made with  Whole Wheat flour and with Sourdough starter.
  I am not really a fan of  store bought whole wheat pasta neither is my family. 
Too 'grainy' tasting but after trying this recipe I think we have a hit!
It has the benefit of being made from whole wheat flour/whole grain flour
and contains sourdough starter, both are good for you and your , diet.
I hope you try this for you and your family. 
 
WHOLE WHEAT SOURDOUGH PASTA/RAVIOLI 
 
Whole Wheat Sourdough Ravioli
 
The ingredients you will need.

Ingredients all mixed and kneaded together and covered.
Let sit 8 hours or overnight.  It will have doubled in size.

Rolled out pasta ready for the pasta cutter

Some of the dough cut and ready to be dried.

This bowl of noodles has been dried in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.

Sheets of whole wheat sourdough pasta ready to be made  into Ravioli.
 
This batch of noodles is being 'air dried'.  Testing to see if there is a difference in flavour.

Whole wheat sourdough pasta sheets now topped with a cheese filling.

After brushing the edges and center with an egg wash I added a top sheet of pasta.

With my fingers I pressed and 'sealed' all the edges.
 


I cut the ravioli into individual squares. Shapes are up to you.
Dusting with a bit of flour so they don't stick to the cookie sheet.
I covered them and put into the fridge until dinner time when I will cook them up fresh!
 

The whole wheat sourdough ravioli has been boiled for 2-3 minutes.
I added a homemade mushroom/tomato sauce layered in between pouches of cheese stuffed ravioli.

Little 'pillows of heaven'  ready for tasting.

 

 
Dinner of Whole wheat Sourdough Ravioli filled with Ricotta cheese, garlic, green onion
and some herb cream cheese mixture.  A nice green salad and some garlic bread.  Yum!
 
Whole wheat Sourdough Pasta Recipe
 
As another great use for the never-ending sourdough starter,
 these rustic noodles are thick, chewy, and delicious.
If you prefer your noodles less rustic, feel free to use a pasta machine.
This is great to put together the night before for the next day’s lunch or dinner.
Ingredients
 1 cup sourdough starter
3 cups whole wheat flour
6 egg yolks
 
Pour the sourdough starter into a mixing bowl.
Add the egg yolks and mix until combined. 
Add the whole wheat flour 1 cup at a time until all is incorporated.
Mix thoroughly until the mixture forms a ball.
(I dropped it onto the counter and kneaded together for about 2-3 minutes)
Cover.     Let sit for 8 hours or overnight.
The next day.....
       Place ball on counter and roll it out very, very thin.
(this is where I took out my pasta machine)
Trim the edges to make a rectangle.
    Slice the noodles in whatever shapes you please.
 
These can be left on the counter to dry
 or boiled immediately to serve with dinner.
I baked some of the pasta I made in a 350 oven for 5 minutes.
This dries it nicely and then it can be kept in a cool place until ready to be used.

 
'A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking,
because her trust is not on the branch but on it's own wings.
Always believe in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment