Sunday, January 13, 2013

Thai Food

In this family we like to 'Travel the World'   through our  food.  When living up in Fort St John I worked
at Northern Lights College and was so very fortunate to have the 'best seat in the place'
Reception and right in the middle of the place where I was able to see and get to know all the students in the College both young adults and mature adults.  The College has a International  Program and I was able to get to know all the students one by one.  It was through these young adults so far away from home and their familiar foods and of course family that I was able to learn about their favorite foods and also teach them how to make our favorites too.  Korea, Nigeria, Columbia, Mexico, Japan and more,  a multicultural adventure
for me I still continue to correspond with many of  'my students' even 6 years later.  They are my International family.
In future posts I will take you with me in my Food Travels around the world.
 This next recipe is one that I seem to crave quite often.  It is so simple and quick to make.

 THAI NOODLE SALAD




The ingredients you will need for the salad




here I have added garlic, vegetable bullion  - ingredients
for the sauce/dressing


 this is what the sauce/dressing looks like when ready



The Soba noodles are cooked and drained, the vegetables
are chopped and ready to meet the noodles.

Here the sauce/dressing and  vegetables are added to the Soba noodles

 A rainbow of colors - I've added unsalted chopped peanuts


Add some fresh cilantro and a squeeze or two of lime
and you have a fresh hearty salad


THAI NOODLE SALAD RECIPE

Serves 4
  8 oz.  Soba noodles
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth (I use half a  vegetable bullion cube & 1/2 cup water)
3 Tbsp chunky peanut butter ( less peanuts to chop)
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
 1 tsp garlic minced
1 tsp fresh ginger minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 sweet red pepper sliced thinly lengthwise
3 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1-2 lime wedges for garnish

Cook Soba noodles as per directions on package, drained and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine soy sauce, broth, peanut butter, lime juice, ginger and red pepper.
Cook over medium-low heat until peanut butter is melted.
Put Soba noodles in large bowl, add peanut sauce and toss to coat evenly.
 Stir in sweet red pepper strips, green onions, cilantro
Serve with lime wedges and extra cilantro and chopped peanuts if you wish.
   Store in refrigerator.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!! so any chance some is left to bring this way?!?1 ;) love the new pictures you added too!!

    ReplyDelete